|Pathway to a Beautiful Mind
Food for Thought
|Healthy eating is an important way to keep your body in shape, but what you eat also has a strong impact on your mental health. Through good nutrition and positive habits, you will be able to enjoy the benefits of a beautiful mind and body.
A right diet and lifestyle will improve your quality of life by increasing your memory, attention span, cognition and sense of wellbeing. Here are six keys to having a beautiful mind:
Fish: Oily fish like salmon, tuna, cod, halibut and tilapia contain good levels of omega 3 fatty acids and are also rich in protein.
Nuts and Seeds: Vegetarian sources of Omega-3 include walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and peanuts. Brazil nuts also contain calcium, magnesium and a trace mineral called selenium. Selenium helps to strengthen the immune system and is good for memory.
Fruits and Vegetables: Those which are rich in antioxidants provide essential nutrients to improve mental health. Research has shown that people with diets rich in fresh fruits and vegetables are 70 percent less likely to suffer from Alzheimer’s or dementia. Spinach, blueberries, strawberries, gobhi, broccoli, squash and raspberries all contain antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids.
Water: Our brain weight is 85 percent water. Drinking sufficient water not only keeps our brain hydrated but also helps to cleanse our brain from toxins that we absorb from our environment.
Tea: Green and black tea is packed with polyphenols, a powerful antioxidant. Drinking tea has been proven to increase memory, improve concentration and reduce the risk of neurodegenerative diseases, like Alzheimer’s disease.
Chocolate is a tasty treat that can stimulate your brain with a boost of energy.Dark chocolate is a source of antioxidants, flavonoids, caffeine, iron, zinc, potassium. Dark Chocolate stimulates endorphin production and makes you feel good.
These simple changes in your diet and lifestyle patterns are guaranteed to make each day more productive and enjoyable.
|Green Tea and Chocolate are both good for the brain, so why not make yourself?
Green Tea Chocolate Cake
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips or 5 cubes chocolate
- 1 ¾ cup of flour
- 1 ½ cup of sugar (sugar free sugar)
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons green tea powder
- Put butter in a bowl and stir until soft.
- Add sugar to the bowl and mix well.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Combine eggs with the butter mixture.
- Sift the flour and the green tea powder together.
- Add the sifted flour to the egg and butter mixture and mix.
- Add the chocolate chips to the bowl and mix together.
- Pour the cake batter into a medium-sized cake tin, lined with baking wax paper.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees C for 35 minutes.
|Santoshi Tuschak Integrative Wellness Consultant, New Delhi, and Co-Director of the Office for Experiential Growth, New York City