Spina bifida is a congenital defect affecting the spinal cord and the vertebrae.
Its causes are not clear.
Symptoms depend on the severity of the condition and may include:
- Opening in the spinal vertebrae
- Fluid filled sac on the back
- Lack of bladder and bowel control
- Learning difficulties
- Varying degrees of paralysis
- Hydrocephalus or excessive fluid around the brain
- Latex allergy
- Antibiotics to prevent infection
- Surgery to close the opening in the vertebrae
- Installing a shunt to drain the excess fluid in the brain
- Folic acid supplements before and during pregnancy