Spasmodic torticollis or cervical dystonia is a neurological condition causing involuntary movement of the neck due to spasms of the neck muscles.
Its causes are not clear.
- Neck turning left, right, upwards or downwards
- Jerky rotation or tilting of the head
- Painful neck spasms
- Abnormal head position
- Neck or head tremors
- Absence of symptoms while sleeping
There is no cure for this condition but symptoms can be controlled by:
- Sensory trick by touching the other side of chin or jaw
- Physical therapy
- Botulinum toxin injections in the neck muscles
- Oral medication to relax the muscles
- Surgery for selective denervation
There is no prevention for this condition.