Sleep terror or night terror is a sleep disorder where the person suddenly awakens with a sense of extreme fear. It is usually found in young children.
Its causes are not known but some possibilities are:
- Sleep deprivation
- Sudden awakening with a scream
- Extreme fear or panic
- Rapid heart beat and breathing
- Difficult to comfort
- Sometimes, violent actions
- Confusion on waking up
- No memory of a nightmare
- Inability to explain or understand the source of fear
Children usually outgrow night terrors and treatment is not required. In case of adults or severe cases, treatment may include:
- Medication like benzodiazepine
There is no specific prevention for sleep terrors.