Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a condition causing certain uncomfortable but difficult to describe pain-like sensations, usually in the legs, which get better with motion.
- Genetics or heredity
- Iron deficiency
- Medical conditions like diabetes, kidney failure, varicose veins, etc.
- Pulling, prickly, pain-like sensation, especially on rest
- Urge to move the limbs
- Aggravated symptoms in evenings and nights
There is no cure for this condition but the symptoms can be reduced by:
- Treating the underlying medical condition
- Lifestyle changes like avoiding caffeine, alcohol and tobacco, practicing relaxation techniques, regular exercise, massage, etc.
- Medications like carbidona, levodopa, opioids or benzodiazepines
There is no prevention for restless leg syndrome.