Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) is a sleep disorder causing involuntary movements of the limbs during sleep.
Its causes are not known but some possible triggers are:
- Certain health conditions like anemia, diabetes, kidney disorders, nerve problems, etc.
- Certain sleep disorders
- Certain lifestyle habits like smoking, alcohol and caffeine consumption, etc.
- Starting or withdrawing certain medications
- Flexing or jerking movements of the ankle, toes and legs
- Moving arms in the air
- Poor and unrefreshing sleep
There is no cure for PLMD but symptoms can be controlled by medications like:
- Parkinson’s disease drugs
- Anticonvulsant medication
- Dopaminergic agents
- GABA agonists
Since the causes are not clear, there is no specific way of preventing PMLD.