Myocarditis is inflammation of the myocarditis or the heart muscle.
- Infections like viral, bacterial, fungal etc.
- Certain medical conditions and immune disorders like sarcoidosis, scleroderma, etc.
- Certain medication
- Allergic reactions
Symptoms may not be present always. They include:
- Body aches
- Joint pain
- Chest pain
- Edema or fluid retention
- Loss of consciousness
- Sudden death
Treatment depends on the cause and may involve:
- Medication to fight infection, reduce swelling and treat heart failure
- Diuretics to remove excess water
- Pacemaker for abnormal heart beats
- Heart transplant in severe cases
- Avoid and promptly treat infections
- Practice safe sex
- Maintain good hygiene