Hypersomnia is a condition causing excessive day time sleepiness or prolonged night time sleep.
The causes are not always known and possibilities include:
- Sleep disorders like narcolepsy or sleep apnea
- Problem with autonomic nervous system
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Head trauma or injury
- Certain medications
- Certain conditions like depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, epilepsy, hypothyroidism, etc.
- Prolonged night time sleep
- Frequent day time naps
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Inability to concentrate
- Memory difficulty
- Stimulants to increase alertness during day time
- Lifestyle changes like avoiding alcohol and caffeine, losing weight, etc.
- Treatment of underlying cause
There is no way to prevent hypersomnia.