Hyperacusis is an abnormal over sensitivity to certain frequencies of sound leading to inability to tolerate everyday sounds.
- Exposure to excessively loud sound
- Head trauma or injury
- Ear infections
- Certain conditions like Lyme’s disease, Meniere's disease, TMJ, Bell’s palsy, autism, etc.
- Feeling of pressure in the ear
- Intolerance to everyday sounds
- Loss of balance
There is no specific treatment to cure Hyperacusis but it can be managed by:
- Ear plugs or muffs
- Noise generating devices in the ear to increase tolerance to everyday noises
- Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT) to train the ear to tolerate everyday noises
- Avoid exposure to loud sounds
- Avoid ear infections
- Avoid trauma to head