Gout is a kind of arthritis causing inflammation and pain of the joints especially in the feet and ankles.
- Excessive uric acid depositing in form of crystals in the joints
- Certain medical conditions
Symptoms usually develop in a single joint suddenly during night. They may include:
- Extreme pain
- Medication such as pain relievers, NSAIDs, colchicines or corticosteroids
- Treating the underlying medical cause
- Lifestyle changes such as weight reduction, increased fluid intake, dietary changes etc.
There is no way to prevent gout but following can reduce the risk:
- Avoiding alcohol
- Avoiding foods rich in purine such a sea food, meat, sweetbreads etc
- Maintaining healthy weight