Essential tremor is a progressive neurological disorder causing involuntary shaking in various parts of the body especially the hands and arms.
Causes are not clear but genetics seem to play an important role in developing the disorder.
- Involuntary shaking of hands when in use
- Involuntary nodding of the head
- Shaky voice
- Difficulty in using small objects
- Rarely, difficulty with balance
- Symptoms are aggravated with stress, caffeine or cold temperature
Treatment is not required if the symptoms are mild. In case symptoms cause interference with normal activities, treatment may include:
- Medications such as beta-blockers, tranquilizers, anticonvulsants or antiepileptic drugs
- Physical therapy
- Surgery such as thalamotomy or deep brain stimulation
Since the causes are not clear, there is no way to prevent essential tremors.