Dysthymia is a kind of chronic depression which is less severe than major depression but lasts for years.
Causes are not clear but some possibilities include:
- Personality problems
- Chronic illnesses
- Increased or decreased appetite
- Excessive sleep or difficulty sleeping
- Lack of concentration
- Low self esteem
- Loss of interest in things
- Medications like antidepressants
- Psychotherapy to educate and bring changes in attitude of both patient and family
There is no way to prevent Dysthymia.